Sealing/demolition/city planning :
During the first quarter of 2006, when MCD started sealing the commercial establishments whose owners had failed to file affidavits before the deadline set by the court, People’s Action
confederated RWAs and traders to make the below mentioned three step joint proposal to the Supreme Court:
- To direct the Govt. of Delhi and the MoUD to coordinate the migration of such businesses as may be located in areas deemed residential to ‘prepared’ sites
- That this may be done in a phased manner to allow smooth transfer
- That such affected migrant businesses may be allowed relief by:
- Offering affected retailers space in existing government shopping areas at subsidised rates and providing for a range of such options to satisfy the big, medium and small retailer and providing financial support to re-establish businesses in such areas;
- Creating and earmarking new commercial areas and time bound construction of such complexes and offering it on first option to affected businesses at preferential rates;
- Reserving space in all developing Malls on special rates for those retailers who would be willing to pay for these spaces.
proposed voluntary demolitions, which Trader Associations and RWAs agreed. However, both Trader Association and RWAs demanded assurance of equally strict punishment to MCD officials as a pre-condition.
The Delhi Master Plan 2021
finalised by the Delhi Development Authority was termed as a mere ‘political stunt’. New Delhi People’s Alliance (NDPA), the NGO wing of People’s Action
called the Draft Master Plan for Delhi poorly planned and a sure recipe of disaster for the residents of the Capital. Objections with DDA were formally filed by various group members.